And the Beat Goes on…

So it’s been about 8 months since my bankruptcy was approved. During those 8 months there have been a number of life changing challenges.

In February, I experienced a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) which is also known as a mini-stroke. It came out of nowhere. One minute I was making dinner, the next minute I was staring at my left arm wondering why it had fallen down by my side.

Milt’s police training immediately kicked in and he had me counting backwards, reciting the alphabet and touching my nose with my finger. All good until I tried to touch my nose with the left hand…no response.

911 was called and the ambulance and EMS team arrived shortly. Took my first ride in an ambulance and for the first time ever in my life (other than birth), I was admitted as a patient into the hospital.

Life is funny…when I got up to my room, we knew the nurse on duty. She and Milt worked together years ago in a health club. And she was on duty when Milt had his TIA back in 2006. It was a good sign!

Even funnier…I liked the food!Seriously, even on a low salt, low-fat, low cholesterol diet, I actually looked forward to my meals!

My roommate was a bit nosy and talkative, but she had a good heart and we got along fine.

Turns out my blood pressure was good but my cholesterol, which was under 200, was a bad mix of high LDL (bad cholesterol) and low HDL (good cholesterol). This is an important distinction. Even though my total was 183 (well below the 200 mark, so I hadn’t been concerned in the past), it was still bad news. Lesson learned.

There was a noticeable but not worrisome amount of plaque built up in the carotid arteries.

And the MRI showed something totally unexpected, a Cavernous Vascular Anomaly (I remember picturing this big hole in my brain–thinking I finally had an excuse for my forgetfulness!) While it did not seem to be related to the TIA, it was something to be monitored and it ruled out taking aspirin as a daily precaution for future stoke or heart attack.

After 3 nights and 4 days at Shore Memorial Hospital, I was released with a prescription for Crestor and a commitment to eat better, go to the gym more and take back my health!

I made follow-up appointments with the neurologist, neurosurgeon, and the cardiologist.

And then the bills from the ambulance, the EMS, and the hospital all rolled in. Another lesson learned the hard way–if you are going to pay for insurance, make sure it covers all the basics including emergency and EMS expenses ($2400 out-of-pocket expense!).

It also doesn’t fully cover out-patient radiology (MRI or MRA) which my doctors requested. Another $1600 of out-of-pocket expenses—those are on hold as I research options with my insurance company.

On the bright side I have lost close to 10 pounds since I was released from the hospital, I’m wearing clothes that have been hiding in my closet for way too long and I’m working on getting “my sexy back.”

And the beat goes on…

This entry was posted in empowerment. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *